The billing credit card for recurring subscriptions can be rejected for a number of reasons.
If AccessAlly cannot charge the card successfully, it will try once a day for three consecutive days. If the charge has not gone through successfully at this point, AccessAlly will apply the Failed Payment Tag, and then wait until the credit card has been updated before it tries to charge again (or until you cancel the subscription).
You can use the Failed Payment Tag as a trigger for an automation that reminds your users to update their credit card, and revokes access to course material if they fail to do so.
Once the card is updated, AccessAlly will automatically charge the new card (unless you have cancelled the subscription). However, it will only charge the regular recurring amount. If there are any “missed months” of payments, you must charge those manually.
PREFERRED METHOD: CAMPAIGN
Please watch this tutorial video to learn how to create your automation inside Ontraport's Campaign area.
OLD METHOD: SEQUENCES
This is the old method of creating automations. It is preferred that you use the tutorial video above.
A note for ConvertKit Users:
Note: Due to limitations in ConvertKit automation, there are a couple edge cases that need to be monitored periodically. Please go to AccessAlly -> Purchase Logs and review the subscriptions with the status Failed to collect.
- The follow-up email sequence is canceled for any client who unsubscribes. This means the revoke rule will not be triggered.
- The follow-up email sequence can only be run once for each client. This means the follow-up sequence will not be run when a second payment fails
Please email ConvertKit support directly if you want to see improvements in this area. In particular, ask them to add the following features:
- Allow tags to be added with each email in a sequence.
- Allow email sequences to be run multiple times for the same client.
- Allow email sequences to be run for unsubscribed users. ConvertKit doesn’t need to send the emails, but the tags and the associated rules should still be triggered
- Add delay in automation rules.