As you set up your recurring payment (subscription) product in AccessAlly, there are several unique tags that should be designated under the Automation tab. When configured properly, these tags will allow you to easily manage & automate your subscription products.
How the Product Tags Work
1. Success Tag
AccessAlly will automatically apply the tag you configure here every time a successful recurring payment is charged. (i.e. If you are setting up a monthly membership product, this tag will be applied monthly when the membership is automatically renewed.)
This tag should be used as a trigger for your CRM automations.
If there is an automation that you would like run every month (like a monthly credit increase), you would use this tag as a trigger for that automation.
2. Failed Payment Tag
Sometimes payments fail, it happens! Maybe a credit card expired, or it is currently maxed out.
Here’s what AccessAlly will do about it:
- AccessAlly will retry the payment 3 times with 1 day in between, which helps if the card was maxed out and just got paid. This won’t help if the card is expired.
- When the 3rd attempt fails, AccessAlly will automatically apply the Payment Failed tag.
- From there, your “Failed Payment automation” sequence in your CRM will get kicked off to start the followup / recovery sequence using this Payment Failed tag as the trigger. (Please create this sequence by following this tutorial.)
- At the end of this failed payment sequence, you can use a webhook to revoke the subscription.
In some cases, you might want to try to process the payment again before revoking access. For example, you might decide to do one try every 3 days for 21 days.
You can use a webhook to force a payment retry in AccessAlly. The webhook is ?aal_chargesubscription=###&productId=###, and you can get the correct numbers to insert in the “###” spots by looking at this product’s Automation tab and seeing what numbers are used for the revoke webhook.
You can add this webhook to your payment failed automation follow up sequence with the desired frequency to trigger a retry, using your CRM’s wait timers.
3. Revoke Tag(s)
AccessAlly will automatically apply any tags you configure here when told to do so through either of two methods:
- When the HTTP Post / Webhook (listed in the automations tab) is run in a CRM automation. You may wish to add this Webhook at the end of a Failed Payment automation, for example.
- When you click the Revoke Subscription button in the admin area.
It is recommended that you add any/all revoke tags that are needed to instantly revoke access to the corresponding pages on your site.
4. Stop Tag
This tag should be used as a goal / stop tag in your CRM automations, so that an existing sequence is not continued after a subscription is cancelled or stopped..